Arizona Murder, Homicide, and Manslaughter Attorney
An Arizona homicide attorney practicing law for 35 years, Jesse Smith started out as a prosecutor and after seven years shifted his focus to criminal defense in private practice. When facing murder or other homicide charges in Arizona, you should seriously consider placing your case in the hands of a highly experienced criminal defense lawyer.
Understanding the different types of homicide
Under Arizona Revised Statute §13-1101, homicide is defined as follows:
First degree murder (class one felony, punishable by death or life in prison) is:
- Premeditated killing of another person, including an unborn child, even if the unborn child dies as a result of premeditated murder of another person
- Death that is not premeditated but is caused during the commission of another crime, such as:
- Sexual assault
- Child molestation
- Marijuana and dangerous drug/narcotic offenses
- Involving minors in drug offenses
- Drive-by shooting
- Child abuse
- Unlawful flight from law enforcement during pursuit
- Intentionally killing a law enforcement officer in the line of duty
Second degree murder (class one felony) is:
- Intentional killing but without premeditation, which includes killing an unborn child or death of an unborn child resulting from killing another person
- Killing while knowing that actions can result in death or physical injury
- Showing extreme indifference to human life while engaging in actions involving grave risk that results in killing
Manslaughter , (class two felony) is:
- Recklessly causing the death of another person
- Committing second degree murder as a result of a sudden quarrel or heat of passion due to adequate provocation by the victim
- Intentionally aiding another to commit suicide
- Committing second degree murder under the use or threatened immediate use of unlawful deadly physical force
- Knowingly or recklessly killing an unborn child through physical injury to the mother
Negligent homicide (class four felony) is causing death to another person, including an unborn child, based on criminal negligence.
D. Jesse Smith is a Tucson criminal defense lawyer who is no stranger to all types of homicide cases, ranging from capital murder to manslaughter. Homicide is a very serious offense that, in addition to resulting in long-term imprisonment or possibly even the death penalty, can devastate your family. Seek experienced legal help.
If you have been arrested and charged with Arizona murder or homicide, contact Jesse Smith. Call (520) 623-8343, or toll free at (866) 675-8180, or fill out our online contact form.